Learning to drive

4:43 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Next week during Spring Break, I have been assigned watch over two of my nephews: brothers Jeremy, 12, and Reid, 3. I guess I might have not been this nervous since the first time I learned to drive. Sure, I have plenty of experience babysitting...yet the last gig I had like this I hadn't even learned how to drive yet. In my younger years, I knew no fear as I didn't know as much then as I do now. Today, I want to be the best Aunt possible - and as my husband and I hope to start a family soon - I can't help but fear that this experience is going to reflect on what type of mother I will be.
True, I have been watching SuperNanny and Nanny911, a true reality TV junkie. It's akin to watching videos in driving class, yet it feels much different behind the wheel. I never had even tried to drive before I enrolled in driver's ed. I felt clumsy and unsure of myself behind the wheel yet behind the wheel is no place to be clumsy. With patient practice, I eventually was ready to try getting onto a highway. I remember that as the scariest part of learning to drive, cars whizzing by as you accelerate. Of course, during my first attempt to get on the highway I look in my rearview mirror and a semi-truck is in my lane, breathing down my neck as I am not quite up to speed. It was then that I realized with a car full of passengers, students like me, that I was behind the wheel of just not a car, but a lethal weapon. I swore to take that responsibility quite seriously.
Maybe I'm too serious about my wish to become a Super Aunt and a Super Mom. Giving birth for the first time will be like that first time I sped down the on-ramp. In the super highway of life, I'll take a solemn vow to raise my children with love, respect, discipline, and faith yet give myself a break and allow myself to be human.

0 Share your thouughts: