The rough edges

12:40 PM Edit This 1 Comment »

I've started reading the book "The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference." The editorial review from Amazon.com states:

The best way to understand the dramatic transformation of unknown books into bestsellers, or the rise of teenage smoking, or the phenomena of word of mouth or any number of the other mysterious changes that mark everyday life," writes Malcolm Gladwell, "is to think of them as epidemics. Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread just like viruses do." Although anyone familiar with the theory of memetics will recognize this concept, Gladwell's The Tipping Point has quite a few interesting twists on the subject.


Malcolm Gladwell explains the different personalities that influence word-of-mouth trends. He calls them "Connectors, Mavens, and Salepeople." And it has me thinking about which personalities traits I wish I had. I am so not a connector - which is a person with a gazillion acquaintances. My sister - I've always thought of her as a connector - a person with a huge social circle, fascinated with all persons. I think it serves her well working for the Senator. Me - I've never had much tolerance for those "weak ties." Couldn't be bothered with them.

I'm not really a maven either...someone who knows a lot about all sorts of products, what the best buy is, the best restaurant or hotel in town. Yes, I'll figure out what the best car for me is, reading Consumer Reports - but it ends there once my simple needs are fulfilled.

I'm closest to a Salesperson personality. At least, when I've worked in sales, I've excelled there. I enjoy helping people figure out their decisions on purchasing, making suggestions that truly fit what they are looking for. I think of the time I spent as a manager at Pier One, and the personalized service I offered my customers. That was the last retail job I had actually...about a decade ago.

And I think of personalities traits that I need to improve. I definitely have rough edges. My emotions are pretty much worn on my sleeve. I can be quite the witch at times. I realize we all have our witchy moments...and that's another thing I've been told is that I'm too hard on myself. Maybe. All I know is that self-control leads to self-respect...and that you have to pick your battles. I like to think that it is possible to smooth those rough edges...especially surrendering those undesirable personality traits to God's Will.

1 Share your thouughts:

Kristy said...

great post JA! I think I would be more of the sales person where my hubby is more of the connector. Sounds like a very interresting read.