Defining Success

1:40 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
suc·cess
n.
The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.
The gaining of fame or prosperity: an artist spoiled by success.
The extent of such gain.
One that is successful: The plan was a success.
Obsolete. A result or an outcome.

My definition of success: a person is successful when they define and maintain their value system, doing better when they know better; living to serve the greater good. I often questioned my decision to jump out of living in the fast lane in my late twenties and take time to truly figure out who I am and heal my past. I felt like I let my family down because I was no longer pursuing the career I studied for. It was an odd experience to just "be". I did it until I finally became comfortable in my skin, without material trappings.

I've had my share of achieving goals...being a high achiever, winning awards. I realized though that I never planned for what happens after you reach the pinnacle...after you get to the top. It became false to me without knowing my purpose. I had a false sense of entitlement when I didn't know my purpose. It was a humbling event to slide down to rock bottom, an experience that eventually led to enlightenment. I found myself again through a faith in the Divine, a Higher Power, God: there are many names to it.

I'm sure my philosophy of success will be altered if we are able to start a family. For right now, being me...loving myself....giving back to others: that is success.

0 Share your thouughts: