The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities.

4:32 PM Edit This 2 Comments »

So said Sophocles. Truer words were never spoken. At least recently for me, my biggest heartaches I brought on myself. Today in Julia Cameron's book The Sound of Paper she suggests to think of a situation that you hold negative feelings over. Explore the possible positives you stand to gain. Find the silver lining.

Without getting into specifics, there is someone I know that I do not trust. Actually, I held this person in trust, and now regret doing so. I do not feel comfortable that I let my guard down, and I feel afraid that I may live to regret it. I really feel like a fool for doing so. Positives I stand to gain. Hmmm. It's a good thing that I have realized that this might not be a safe person for me to trust, and too much time hasn't passed since I've revealed too much of my self - it could be much worse. It's good to be reminded that not everyone is to be trusted...sad as it seems. It's good to realize this now with time to think it over before I'm in contact with this person again so that I can adjust my behavior accordingly...and that I don't have to necessarily hold it against that person. It's just life. (And most people who read this blog will not know this person so don't worry that it might be you.) It's a good thing that this realization did not come as an unexpected surprise where I was in a humiliating situation, it came as a slow dawning....not all at once.



Stock photo by Lotushead

2 Share your thouughts:

Kristy said...

It is important to discover who you can and can not trust. I tend to over guard my self and my feelings. That is not a good thing, but once you have been hurt by too many people you tend to do that.

I am not saying anything that you are not aware of so I will stop.

Hi my name is Marjorie said...

It's a hard lesson to learn JA...especially when it's someone that you are really close enough to to share...I'm sorry you had to go through this...